- Beautiful living cork floor Norderney white 1-plank wideplankAvailableSpecial Price €20.95 / m² * Regular Price €22.95 / m² *
- Beautiful living cork floor Baltrum taupe 1-plank plankAvailableSpecial Price €20.95 / m² * Regular Price €22.95 / m² *
- Beautiful living cork floor Helgoland natural colour 1-plank wideplankAvailableSpecial Price €20.95 / m² * Regular Price €22.95 / m² *
- Wicanders cork floor Corkcomfort Originals Symphony natural tile 4 mmAvailableSpecial Price €21.99 / m² * Regular Price €24.95 / m² *
- Wicanders Korkboden Corkcomfort Originals Accent natural welding Fliese 4 mmAvailableSpecial Price €21.99 / m² * Regular Price €24.95 / m² *
- Wicanders cork floor Corkcomfort Originals Dawn natural tile 4 mmAvailableSpecial Price €21.99 / m² * Regular Price €24.95 / m² *
- Wicanders Cork floor Corkcomfort Originals Harmony natural tile 4 mmAvailableSpecial Price €24.49 / m² * Regular Price €28.95 / m² *
- Wicanders cork floor Corkcomfort Originals Harmony pre-sealed tile 4 mmAvailableSpecial Price €26.89 / m² * Regular Price €31.95 / m² *
- Beautiful living cork floor Langeoog cream StripelineAvailableSpecial Price €27.95 / m² * Regular Price €30.95 / m² *
- Beautiful living Cork floor Mellum natural colour 3-plank ship's floorAvailableSpecial Price €27.95 / m² * Regular Price €30.95 / m² *
- Beautiful living cork floor Amrum nature 1-plank wideplankAvailableSpecial Price €30.19 / m² * Regular Price €33.45 / m² *
- Wicanders cork floor Corkcomfort Personality Eden pre-sealed tile 4VAvailableSpecial Price €32.89 / m² * Regular Price €38.95 / m² *
- Wicanders Cork flooring Corkcomfort Personality Moonlight pre-finished Tile 4VAvailableSpecial Price €32.89 / m² * Regular Price €38.95 / m² *
- Wicanders Cork flooring Corkcomfort Originals Rhapsody WRT 1-strip plank 10,5 mmAvailableSpecial Price €32.89 / m² * Regular Price €39.95 / m² *
- Wicanders Cork floor Corkcomfort Fashionable Glacier WRT 1-plank wideplankAvailableSpecial Price €35.19 / m² * Regular Price €41.95 / m² *
- Beautiful living cork floor north beach 1-plank plankAvailableSpecial Price €35.39 / m² * Regular Price €37.95 / m² *
- Wicanders Cork flooring Artcomfort Oak Rustic Prime NPC 1-plank wideplankAvailableSpecial Price €35.95 / m² * Regular Price €42.95 / m² *
- Wicanders Cork floor Corkcomfort Originals Dawn WRT 1-plank wideplank 10,5 mmAvailableSpecial Price €36.49 / m² * Regular Price €42.95 / m² *
- Wicanders Cork floor Corkcomfort Originals Shell WRT 1-plank wideplank 10.5 mmAvailableSpecial Price €36.49 / m² * Regular Price €42.95 / m² *
- Wicanders Cork floor Corkcomfort Originals Harmony WRT 1-plank wideplank 10,5 mmAvailableSpecial Price €36.49 / m² * Regular Price €42.95 / m² *
- Wicanders Korkboden Cork comfort Personality Moonlight WRT 1-Stab LandhausdieleAvailableSpecial Price €38.29 / m² * Regular Price €44.95 / m² *
- Wicanders Cork floor Corkcomfort Identity Silver WRT 1-plank wideplankAvailableSpecial Price €38.29 / m² * Regular Price €44.95 / m² *
- HARO Cork Floor Corkett Natur Lagos PERMADUR Cork SealerAvailableSpecial Price €41.29 / m² * Regular Price €45.90 / m² *
- HARO Cork Floor Corkett Antique White Arcos PERMADUR Cork SealerAvailableSpecial Price €44.89 / m² * Regular Price €49.90 / m² *
- HARO Cork Floor Corkett Natur Ronda PERMADUR Cork SealerAvailableSpecial Price €44.89 / m² * Regular Price €49.90 / m² *
- HARO Cork Floor CORKETT Oak Portland natural Arteo XL 4V Cork impact sound insulationAvailableSpecial Price €51.19 / m² * Regular Price €56.90 / m² *
- HARO Cork Floor CORKETT Oak Portland dark grey Arteo XL 4V Cork impact sound insulationAvailableSpecial Price €51.19 / m² * Regular Price €56.90 / m² *
- HARO Cork Floor CORKETT Oak Portland invisible Arteo XL 4V Cork impact sound insulationAvailableSpecial Price €51.19 / m² * Regular Price €56.90 / m² *
- HARO Cork Floor CORKETT Oak Portland white Arteo XL 4V Cork impact sound insulationAvailableSpecial Price €51.19 / m² * Regular Price €56.90 / m² *
- HARO Cork floor CORKETT Shabby Oak grey Arteo XL 4V Cork impact sound insulationAvailableSpecial Price €51.19 / m² * Regular Price €56.90 / m² *
- HARO Cork floor CORKETT Shabby Oak invisible Arteo XL 4V Cork impact sound insulationAvailableSpecial Price €51.19 / m² * Regular Price €56.90 / m² *
- HARO Cork Floor CORKETT Shabby Oak white Arteo XL 4V Cork impact sound insulationAvailableSpecial Price €51.19 / m² * Regular Price €56.90 / m² *
- HARO Cork Floor CORKETT Oak italica natural Arteo XL 4V Cork impact sound insulationAvailableSpecial Price €51.19 / m² * Regular Price €56.90 / m² *
- HARO Cork Floor CORKETT Smoked Oak italica Arteo XL 4V Cork impact sound insulationAvailableSpecial Price €51.19 / m² * Regular Price €56.90 / m² *
Cork is obtained from the bark of the cork oak. The tree is not felled, only part of the bark is peeled off. This peeling can be repeated every 8 to 12 years without damaging the tree.
This cork is used for example for the corks of wine bottles. The cork floor covering is usually made of pressed cork granulate. This consists of the remains of the bottle cork production. Acrylic resins, water-based polyurethane resins and natural resins are used as binding agents.
A distinction is made between Adhesive cork and Cork pre-finished parquet. Adhesive cork is glued over the entire surface and is particularly suitable for damp rooms. It is offered as rolled goods and as tiles
The Cork pre-finished parquet is laid by means of a click system. This click system is available - depending on the manufacturer - in different versions. What they all have in common is the quick installation of the cork floor covering However, it is not so well suited for damp rooms and for installation over underfloor heating.
The advantages of a cork floor
- completely recyclable, as 100 percent natural product
- available in many designs
- is offered for different service classes
- contains no plasticizers
- great Thermal insulation
- high footfall sound insulation of the material
- warm to the feet
- high walking and standing comfort due to elastic surface
- Cork is non-slip
- Cork is antistatic and therefore does not bind dust
- the material is antibacterial
- highly durable
- consists of a natural, renewable raw material
- easy on the joints, as it is elastic
- hardly inflammable
- suitable for asthmatics and allergy sufferers
- the cork floor covering is easy to repair
The disadvantages of a cork floor
- The cork floor covering is only conditionally suitable for humid roomsbecause moisture can cause the cork to expand too much.
- Cork is not lightfast, i.e, the cork may fade due to prolonged exposure to sunlight.
- Heavy furniture easily leaves impressions on the soft surface.
- Only very thin cork floor coverings are suitable for laying over underfloor heating systems.
The cork floor covering is extremely environmentally friendly
Cork flooring is not only made of a renewable raw material, its production also actively protects the environment. Cork oak forests are home to many endangered plants and animals
These forests will be preserved and even expanded because they produce a valuable raw material Cork oaks absorb CO2 when growing. It is the same with all trees
BUT: Peeling off the cork bark causes the tree to form new bark. The cork oak binds three times as much CO2 as an unpeeled tree.
Wide range of designs available
The cork floor covering is not only available in different cork optics, but also in other designs. Wood and stone are popular designs for cork flooring. The additional treatment of the surface with oil, wax or varnish not only changes its physical properties but also its colour
Today, there are light and dark cork floor coverings in almost all colours and in countless designs. However, the most popular designs are still natural cork in various grains and colours, wood and stone.
What is the difference between natural cork and print cork?
As the name suggests, natural cork is a 100% natural product that consists only of cork. Its surface therefore has the classic cork look.
the print cork, a photo layer of non-toxic vinyl is applied to the cork body, which creates various decors, such as wood or stone. This allows the positive properties of cork to be combined with almost any design.
Sealing the cork floor
Natural cork floors should be sealed. In most cases they have already been treated accordingly by the manufacturer. However, it is also possible to seal the cork floor covering yourself. You should also reseal the floor covering after several years of use.
For the sealing you have the choice between a polyurethane lacquer and an oil or wax sealing.
The properties of the lacquer sealant
- A polyurethane lacquer sealant is the most economical option.
- It lasts 5 to 10 years, depending on the strain on the floor.
- Three layers must be applied for complete sealing.
- You can apply one layer per day.
- The sealant must dry for two days to finish.
The properties of oil or wax sealing
- This sealant consists of 100 % natural materials.
- It lasts one to two years.
- Once the cork floor covering has been sealed with oil or wax, polyurethane sealing cannot be applied later.
- Two oil and one wax layer or three wax layers are required for sealing.
- If you have applied a layer, you must wait one day before the next layer can be applied.
- After the sealing you polish the floor.
Seal cork flooring with polyurethane
Before sealing, sand the cork flooring with sandpaper to obtain a smooth surface. This way the floor covering does not absorb too much paint and there is no risk of swelling
Then vacuum the floor thoroughly. To apply the varnish you must use a special roller that is hard enough. If the roller is too soft, air can be trapped in the applied paint.
Seal cork flooring with oil or wax
If you value natural materials, this sealant is ideal. This surface treatment fully preserves the naturalness of the cork and its breathable properties. The latter supports a healthy indoor climate through its balancing effect
With a polyurethane sealant it is lost. When applying the hard oil or wax, make sure that any residue is wiped away immediately. Finish the sealing with a layer of wax to make the flooring antistatic
After applying the last layer, wait one day before polishing the floor.
How to avoid dirt and damage to the cork floor covering
- If possible, avoid direct sunlight through curtains etc., as the cork will fade.
- If something is spilt, you should wipe it up immediately.
- The cork floor covering do not wipe too damp.
- Do not use aggressive cleaning agents.
- Felt glides under furniture legs prevent scratches.
- Lay protective mats under movable furniture, such as desk chairs.
- At the entrance door, catch dirt with mats.
- Floor mats in the sink area catch escaping water and splashes.
- Place plants that are standing on the ground on appropriate coasters.
How is the cork floor cleaned?
For daily cleaning you only need a broom or vacuum cleaner. The cork flooring is damp cleaned two to four times a month, depending on the demands made on it.
Cork flooring with white or natural oil
There are natural soaps specially developed for cork. If your cork flooring is white, use "Natural soap white", otherwise use "Natural soap natural". The use of these soaps offers the advantage that they quickly clog the pores of the cork and thus protect it from further environmental influences
These natural soaps are applied directly to the Cork floor covering and then wiped off again with a cotton cloth. They perform this basic cleaning about once a week
The required cleaning frequency depends on the load on the floor.
There are special care oils for the intensive cleaning, which must be carried out every one to two months
Apply these to the floor covering with a cotton cloth or paint roller according to the manufacturer's instructions
For large areas you can also use a polishing machine. Make sure that no puddles of oil form on the floor. Work the oil into the surface and absorb excess oil with a cotton cloth. Now you must let the floor dry for 24 hours.
Cork floor covering with hard wax oil
For maintenance cleaning, proceed in exactly the same way as for a cork floor covering with natural oil. For care there is an oil refresher which combines a mild detergent with oil care
Sweep or vacuum the floor before treatment so that it is dust-free. Mix the Refresher with water according to the manufacturer's instructions and wipe the floor damp. Then rub the floor dry with a cloth and let it dry for another two hours.
Cork floor covering with ceramic lacquer
To clean the cork flooring moist, use a commercial lacquer or vinyl cleaner. Work with two cleaning buckets. The first one contains the cleaner mixed according to the manufacturer's instructions
In the second clear water to rinse the mop. Make sure that no water remains on the floor covering. For particularly stubborn stains there is an intensive cleaner
For maintenance, use a paint or vinyl care product. Before using it you should carry out an intensive cleaning. Then allow the cork flooring to dry completely. Then apply the care product thinly, in only one layer. After 30 minutes waiting time you can walk on the floor again.
These are the tools you need for laying a cork floor covering with click system
- Folding rule
- possibly drilling machine
- Bevel or angle
How to install the cork floor correctly with the click system
If you want to lay the cork flooring on a screed, you need a moisture barrier, also called a vapour barrier. This is a 0.1 to 0.2 mm thick PE foil that prevents moisture from the screed from entering the floor covering
You have to move these first. Roll the sheets so that they overlap 30 cm. Fix them with adhesive tape if necessary. On the walls, pull the PE film 3 cm high. This overhang is later covered by the finishing strip, as is the expansion joint.
Start laying the cork flooring in the left corner of the room. Place the floor elements so that the spring side is facing the wall. Keep a distance of 10 to 15 mm from the wall. This is the expansion joint
You need these because cork is a natural material that expands and contracts depending on the humidity. Use the spacers to achieve an even expansion joint. The last element is cut to size and the resulting rest is used as the first element of the second row
Place the elements of the second row diagonally from the top to the first row. Now press them down so that they click into place audibly. Continue in this way until the entire area has been laid. Remove the spacers before mounting the end strips.
To glue the cork floor covering over the entire surface
Using a spatula, apply the adhesive for the first row of floor elements to the substrate. Now place the elements with the spring side facing the wall on the adhesive and press them down firmly. Here too, you must ensure that the expansion joint is maintained
You should also keep to the offset of approx. 40 cm from row to row. Place the individual floor elements butt to butt. Observe the drying time of the adhesive specified by the manufacturer.
What you should consider when buying a cork floor covering
- The cork floor covering should be neither too thin nor too thick. If it is too thin, its properties, such as thermal insulation, can only be insufficiently effective. If it is too thick, it gives too much and the upper surface layer could crack. Ideally, the floor covering should be about 3 mm thick.
- If the room is heavily used, such as a children's room, the surface should be painted, not oiled. A lacquered cork floor covering is easier to clean.
How is the cork floor recycled?
Cork flooring can be easily recycled if it is available without glue residues, nails or other foreign materials. It is processed into insulation granulate, which is a proven means of thermal insulation
As a bulk insulation material with a grain size between 4 mm and 12 mm and a thermal conductivity of 0.046 W/Km, this recycled product has good building physics values. It has the fire protection class B2.
Which cork floor experiences have users had?
No products containing solvents should be used for sealing the cork flooring. Waxes, oils, natural resins and water-based paints have a more pleasant smell or are odourless. You should take these cork flooring experiences of other users into account in order to enjoy your new cork flooring for a long time.